Stillwater River Trail
This popular trail follows an old rail bed constructed in 1860’s. The rail line was used to transport products to Bangor from the lumber mills near the Stillwater Avenue bridge. Coal for the University was stored on a spur off the main rail bed, opposite the current University heating plant. The faint patterns of old railroad ties and occasional spikes can be seen on parts of the trail. In 1967, the town built a sewer system and placed pipes under the old rail bed. The pipes were repaired in 2005, creating a walking trail along the river. In 2007, trail bridges were added upstream from the water treatment plant. Look for beaver dens along the river’s edges. Avoid the abundant poison ivy in this area. Best parking and trail access are available at the base of Noyes Drive at Brownie’s Park. See kiosk for additional information.